Poison Ivy is an unpleasant and unavoidable part of the New England landscape. In the woods, in your yard, climbing 30 feet up a tree and creeping through your perennials. Even its' botanical name, Toxicodendron radicans, just sounds . . .awful.
Most people are inherently allergic to Poison Ivy. It is a deciduous vine that has resinous oils on all parts of the plant, all times of the year, whether it is dead or alive. This means that you can get Poison Ivy from touching the plant or the roots or the rake handle that was lying in it, petting your dog after he ran through the field of Poison Ivy and even inhaling it when it’s being burned. How’s that for your odds of getting the nasty, itchy rash associated with exposure to Poison Ivy?
What to do?
First, you must know how to identify it. We’ve all heard that wise warning “Leaves of three, leave it be”.